Most likely, you have been invited to one or more weddings this summer. With the warmer weather, wedding ceremonies and receptions are often held outside. It can get a little confusing about what is appropriate to wear given the type of wedding. Keep these tips top of mind to help you make more confident choices:
1. Always pay attention to the dress code on the invitation; Is it cocktail, formal black tie, beach, casual?
2. Never wear white to a wedding.
3. If you are attending a Catholic church wedding ceremony, it is a good idea to cover bare arms and shoulders with a sweater or bolero jacket.
4.. The little black dress can be worn for evening wear.
5. It is always better to be overdressed than underdressed, so if the wedding invite says black tie “optional”, error on the side of overdressing, so do wear the long formal dress.
6. If you are excited about a night on the dance floor make sure you wear a comfy shoe, flat metallic sandals with embellishments such as pearls or faux gems are a great choice.
7. Wear a pantsuit; they can be both glamorous and easy to move in if you want to hit the dance floor with your elegant flat sandals. They can be worn to anything from a casual to black tie wedding depending on the material, the colour and the accessories you wear with it. For a more formal event, choose a silky fabric in jewel tones or black.
8. For day time outdoor weddings or a summer garden wedding, find a balance between elegant and not too casual. Floral prints are a good option. Stay away from sequins and beaded outfits. Look for fresh, summer simple dresses in bright, vibrant colours with some interesting texture to it or a day to night jumpsuit. And, think playful and practical shoes.
9. Attending a beach wedding? You want to look elegant and yet, stay cool. Be sure to go for light, airy, breathable fabrics such as silk, chiffon, cotton or linen. Try an an elevated sundress with shoes like a platform and some sun ready accessories such as sunglasses and hat.
10. More than one wedding this summer and you are mindful of your budget? Choose a dress you can rework that can go from formal, to cocktail to day time outdoor wedding. Rework the dress with accessories like belts, shoes, jewelry and consider tailoring the dress. A long gown or maxi dress can be cut off to become a cocktail dress.